Arthur's Football Comments: FIFA World Cup 2014: Brazil and Colombia

July 4, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014: Brazil and Colombia

Brazil

Scolari’s team is in a big trouble. The team is unable to play against strong sides and Brazil is already aware of this. The hosts have never showed any great football so far. The morale hasn’t been high either. This is why the coaches have decided to invite psychologists to help the team before the quarterfinal stage. Chileans had problems in the back, as Brazil started the match aggressively, however, lack of
quality within the Brazilian attackers made Chile understand that this was a different Brazilian side, not equal to the ones Chileans were used to be beaten by. The score became 1-1 and Chile could have scored more. Brazil’s link between the midfield and attack was Neymar, but the Barcelona star got an injury in the beginning of the match. There was not much happening after an intriguing first half. Brazil was really lucky to go through, after missing whole two after-match penalties.

Colombia is more dangerous in the attack, so if Brazilians conceded once from Chile, they will have to expect more from the other South American team. The beginning of the match is going to be as electric as any other Brazil-match. But Colombia is the quickest team in the World Cup, so counterattacks must be defended well. The problems of the wingbacks aren’t solved yet. And again, the whole team will depend on Neymar’s actions.

Matches played: 4
Goals scored - conceded: 8 - 3
Topscorer (s): Neymar (4)  
Team marks: 3,5 + 4,5 + 5,5 + 5,5= 19,0
Average mark: 4,75
Best player: Neymar (4,5)
Place among 32: 6
Chances to win the World Cup: 22,97%

Colombia

Now Jose Pekerman’s team is in the quarterfinals, winning all of its matches and arguably showing the best football among all the World Cup participants. Colombians had no problems containing Uruguay. Good defensive work by Yepes and his colleagues, technically rich midfield lead by Cuadrado, and the fantastic goals by James Rodriguez are the reason why Colombia is among the best eight teams in the world.

The team enters the pitch to score immediately. They will not change this mentality in the match against Brazil. They haven’t conceded first in this tournament, but there is no doubt that Pekerman’s side is ready for this. James Rodriguez – Juan Cuadrado couple will distract the Brazilian midfield, while Jackson Martinez will be there to take the advantage of some realitive freedom. A lot will depend on the defence this time, as the Greek, Ivorian, Japanese and Uruguayan attacks are not the same as the Brazilian one. Pekerman’s team is not famous for being reckless, but Chile showed, that offensive play against Neymar brings success.    

Matches played: 4
Goals scored - conceded: 11 - 2
Topscorer (s): James Rodriguez (5)
Team marks: 5,0 + 3,5 + 6,0 + 6,5= 21,0
Average mark: 5,25
Best players: James Rodriguez (4,5)  
Place among 32: 1
Chances to win the World Cup: 8,82%


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!