Arthur's Football Comments: FIFA World Cup 2014: Belgium and USA

July 1, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014: Belgium and USA

Belgium

Slow start didn’t assume bad results for Belgium. The European “dark horses” of the World Cup played
Flag of Belgium
three matches, in each of them being accurately a goal better than the opponents. Marc Wilmots’s team never showed the football which would scare their upcoming opponents. However, the fact that the team scored all of its goals
not earlier than 20 minutes before the end talks about the huge undiscovered potential of Belgium. A team, where every young player seemed to be scrutinized long before the World Cup, the 19-year-old striker Divock Origi surprised the world, delivering some significant performance, worthy to be become the breakthrough of the tournament. 

The United States is the next opponent of Belgium. The group H winners will look fresher after the main players took a rest in the last group match. A new stage and new challenges will simply make Wilmots show us what his team is really capable of. The whole world looks forward to see the renaissance of Belgian football and the demonstration of exciting play by the “golden generation”, lead by Thibaut Courtois and Eden Hazard.   

Matches played: 3
Goals scored - conceded: 4 - 1
Topscorer (s): Vertonghen, Origi, Mertens, Fellaini (all - 1)  
Team marks: 4 + 4 + 6 = 14,0
Average mark: 4,67
Best players: Mertens, Courtois (both – 1,5)
Final place among 32: 4
Chances to win the World Cup: 4,59%

USA

Juergen Klinsmann can consider himself as a lucky manager. Playing three matches and not demonstrating

Flag of USA
any unbeatable power, the team was able to score four lucky, though well-deserved, goals against Ghana and Portugal. These two teams had problems with concentration during the whole group stage, and USA was there to punish them. Four points before the last group match had almost guaranteed Klinsmann’s team a place in the round of 16.

The main weapon of the US team is Tim Howard. The experienced goalkeeper has been reliable and has to remain so, if the team is meant to beat the Europeans. A typical characteristic of the team is that there are no superstars. None of the players is significantly better than the others. So this means that the danger can come from anywhere, as it has already happened in this World Cup. Klinsmann will surely fill the midfield, to be able to prevent the talented Belgians of showing any sign of creativity.         

Matches played: 3
Goals scored - conceded: 4 - 4
Topscorer (s): Dempsey (2)  
Team marks: 3,5 + 4 + 2,5 = 10,0
Average mark: 3,34
Best players: Howard, Jones (both – 2,0)
Final place among 32: 14
Chances to win the World Cup: 0,52%

Eden Hazard of Belgium


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!