Arthur's Football Comments: Champions League 2012-13: The week of the Borussia Dortmund-Bayern match

May 11, 2013

Champions League 2012-13: The week of the Borussia Dortmund-Bayern match


The last weekend was special for the European football in terms that the two Champions League finalists were going to meet in a Bundesliga match. Both Borussia Dortmund and Bayern had no problems to solve, but who said the match didn’t decide anything?

Although most of the Champions League heroes were not on the pitch from the first minutes at the Signal Iduna Park, the atmosphere was more than nervous, as if the winner would get any advantage before the Champions League final.

The home side, as expected, was more enthusiastic, while the task for the visitors was keeping their face. The first half got famous for Kevin Grosskreutz’s and Mario Gomez’s goals. But it was the second half that revealed the main intentions of the teams towards each other. The accelerator was Robert Lewandowski’s penalty, which was saved by Manuel Neuer. The incident brought lots of emotions in, and it was Bayern’s Rafinha, who became the first victim of those. The defender got 2 yellow cards in a spell of 2 minutes and got expulsed only 4 minutes after the penalty episode. Afterwards he tried to explain Blaszczykowski what a moron the Pole was, had to hear some comments from Juergen Klopp, who got involved in lessons about manners on the bench instructed by Matthias Sammer, now representing Bayern’s camp. The episode was followed by clashes between Boateng and Lewandowski, Mueller and Santana, while Schieber was close to shoot Neuer’s head instead of the ball. As for the match itself, Jupp Heynckes removed Mario Gomez in favor of Emre Can, anticipating Marco Reus’s entrance minutes later. The young German created two great chances for Julian Schieber, but the forward showed precisely why Lewandowski was always the favorite to appear in Juergen Klopp’s starting line-up.  

The rehearsal ended 1-1. The teams will meet at Wembley very soon.

As for the upcoming weekend, Bayern will host Augsburg, a team still having some chances to remain in the Bundesliga for the next season, and Borussia will travel to Wolfsburg, where they will try to earn the last point necessary to secure the silver medals for this season.

ClubLast MatchesNext matchPosition in the domestic league
Bayern (Germany)04.05 Borussia D. (A) 1-111.05 Augsburg (H)1
Borussia D. (Germany)04.05 Bayern (H) 1-111.05 Wolfsburg (A)2

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!