Arthur's Football Comments: FIFA World Cup 2014: One week to go

June 6, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014: One week to go

It’s the 5th of June and the World Cup 2014 in Brazil is only one week away.

The coaches have now announced their final troops and FIFA has officially confirmed them. Every football fan has already skimmed through the squads, the groups, the bookmaker odds and there is not much to do other than reading the news and waiting for the opener to come.   I decided to try something new this time. I am going to follow all the mass media in the countries participating in the world cup and bring the news to my readers. Sounds ambitious, but let’s see how it will work.  

But for now, as the teams are getting ready to take off to Brazil, let’s take a look at the top 5 world cup news of these days.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Official Book

Brazil's Oscar to become a father

5. The Eastern European news threads of the day are full of information about the captain and brain of the Russian team, Roman Shirokov, who will most probably join the Falcao club. The Russian news agency correspondent ITAR-TASS has confirmed the news, though there has not been any official announcement on this from the Russian delegation. No smoke without fire, as they say.

4. Bad news turn into good news on the 4th position, as the Brazilian international Oscar asks permission to leave the national team camp to be next to his wife, preparing to give birth to his first child. Luiz Felipe Scolari required the Chelsea player to be back for the friendly match against Serbia on Friday, as the Associated Press informs.  

3. The third place is occupied by the whole Squadra Azzurra, one of the favourites of the tournament. The European vice-champions were unable to win their friendly match against Luxemburg - the team ranked as number 120 in FIFA/Coca Cola ranking. Italian newspapers are shocked. La Gazzetta Dello Sport quotes the national anthem wondering “Dov’ E’ la Vittoria?”, meaning “Where is the victory?”, though the most optimistic ones find parallels between the previous World Cup results and the friendlies prior to the tournaments.  

Trinidad and Tobago player bows at Lionel Messi2. One of the heroes of the day is Atuallah Guerra King. This is the 26-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international, currently playing for the Central FC, representing his home country. Still no clue what this dude is doing in the World Cup news threads? Then watch him bow at Lionel Messi before the friendly match yesterday. The short video has had more than 100000 viewers in a period of less than 24 hours.

       Ronaldo of Portugal could miss the opening match of his team

1. However, the news of the day is definitely the famous Ghanaian witch doctor Nana Kwaku Bonsam, who claims to be the main and only reason why Cristiano Ronaldo might not play in the opening match of the World Cup due to an injury. When reading the doctor talk about this in February, you just laugh. Then reading The Guardian quote Nana “I know what Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury is about, I’m working on him”, you think “OK, leave me alone”. But as soon as the doctor says “I am very serious about it. Last week, I went around looking for four dogs and I got them to be used in manufacturing a special spirit called Kahwiri Kapam”, you have to simply accept the power of the doctor. Let’s hope the witch will leave the four dogs and the rest of the football fans alone for the next month or so. The Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Fact File

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!