Arthur's Football Comments: FIFA World Cup 2014: Will Ecuador make it 6 out of 6 for South America?

June 25, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014: Will Ecuador make it 6 out of 6 for South America?

Group E

1. France 6
2. Ecuador 3
3. Switzerland 3
4. Honduras 0

Last matches: HondurasSwitzerland, EcuadorFrance

The French team will qualify to the next round if the team a) doesn’t lose the match against Ecuador, b) loses to Ecuador, but Switzerland doesn’t win in the parallel match. If France loses, and Switzerland wins, three teams will have 6 points. The team with the worst goal difference will leave the tournament. Currently France is the leader with a goal difference of +6, Ecuador has got 0, and Switzerland has got -2. So France will leave the tournament
, if Ecuador and Switzerland win by a margin of at least 4 goals. An example of a scenario in which France leaves the World Cup: EcuadorFrance 4-0, HondurasSwitzerland 1-5.

Ecuador will qualify to the next round, a) if the team defeats France by a margin of at least 4 goals, b) if the team defeats France by a smaller margin, then Switzerland’s victory has to be a minimal, too. En example: Ecuador – France 1-0, Honduras – Switzerland 0-1 (or 0-2), c) if the team doesn’t lose to France, and Switzerland fails to defeat Honduras, d) if the team loses to France, and Honduras defeats Switzerland. Three teams will have 3 points, so the team with the best goal difference will qualify. Current goal differences: Ecuador 0, Switzerland -2, Honduras -4.

Switzerland will qualify to the next round, a) if the team wins over Honduras, and Ecuador fails to win, b) if the team wins over Honduras, and Ecuador wins over France. The team with the worst goal difference will leave the tournament. Currently France is the leader with a goal difference of +6, Ecuador has got 0, and Switzerland has got -2. Switzerland will need a victory with a difference of at least 3 goals, if Ecuador wins minimally, c) if the team wins over Honduras, while Ecuador fails to win, d) if the team ties, and Ecuador loses, e) if both Switzerland and Ecuador lose. Three teams will have 3 points, so the team with the best goal difference will qualify. Current goal differences: Ecuador 0, Switzerland -2, Honduras -4. So for Switzerland to qualify, Ecuador needs to lose by a margin of at least 3 goals, if Honduras wins minimally.
           

Honduras will qualify only if the team defeats Switzerland by at least two goals. Meanwhile Ecuador will have to lose to France by at least three goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!