Arthur's Football Comments: FIFA World Cup 2014: Will Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal be eliminated?

June 26, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014: Will Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal be eliminated?

Group G

1. Germany 4
2. USA 4
3. Ghana 1
4. Portugal 1

Last matches: USAGermany, PortugalGhana

Germany will qualify a) if the team doesn’t lose, b) if the team loses to USA, and the parallel match ends in a draw, c) if the team loses to USA, and still has got a better goal difference than the winner of the parallel match. The current goal differences: Germany +4, Ghana -1, Portugal -4. A scenario, where Germany can advance could be: USAGermany 2-0,
GhanaPortugal 1-0 (or 0-1).

USA will qualify a) if the team doesn’t lose, b) if the team loses to Germany, and the parallel match ends in a draw, c) if the team loses to Germany, and still has got a better goal difference than the winner of the parallel match. The current goal differences: USA +1, Ghana -1, Portugal -4. A scenario, where USA can advance could be: USAGermany 0-1, GhanaPortugal 0-2.

Ghana will advance, if the team wins, and the parallel match doesn’t end in a draw. In this case Ghana will need to have a better goal difference than the loser of the parallel match. The current goal differences: Germany +4, USA +1, Ghana -1. Examples: USAGermany 2-0, PortugalGhana 0-3, or USAGermany 0-1, PortugalGhana 0-2.

Portugal will advance, if the team wins, and the parallel match doesn’t end in a draw. In this case Portugal will need to have a better goal difference than the loser of the parallel match. The current goal differences: Germany +4, USA +1, Portugal -4. Examples: USAGermany 2-0, PortugalGhana 7-0, or USAGermany 0-1, PortugalGhana 5-0.

Group H

1. Belgium 6
2. Algeria 3
3. Russia 1
4. South Korea 1

Last matches: South KoreaBelgium, AlgeriaRussia

Belgium is already in the Play-offs.

Algeria will qualify in case of a win, and will only need a draw, if Belgium doesn’t lose to South Korea.  
Russia will only qualify in case of a victory. Meanwhile Belgium will have to hold and not to lose them.


South Korea will not qualify, if Algeria wins. The last Asian team remaining in the World Cup has to win and match its goal difference with either Algeria (if the parallel match ends in a draw), or Russia (if Russia wins). Current goal difference: Algeria +1, Russia -1, South Korea -2. A scenario, where South Korea advances could be: AlgeriaRussia 1-1, South KoreaBelgium 4-0.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a professional football watcher. I watched the WC '94, when I was 10 years old and have had no success in quitting with this. I promised R. Baggio to give tribute to his Juventus and Italy team ever-since, as he missed that damned penalty. While watching matches I always try to analyze every fact before, during and after the matches. This makes me feel I am an expert. Everyone is welcome to start a conversation on any football-related topic. You would just make me a huge favour. Besides, I am a hopelessly lost gambler. A player, not only in the game, but also in life! I live in Denmark. I am married, which, of course, prevents me of watching football 24 hours a day. My daughter was born in 2011. This fact is neither a football-friendly one, but it does not disappoint me. I am making my first steps in professional scouting with one of the local companies. If this profile sounds something close to you, I would warmly welcome you to follow my blog, where you'll read about everything I mentioned above. I promise to post an article every week. Let's say Saturday. So here we go!